CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 7, 2011

Baby food...or so I thought...


I once thought squash was baby food. I have never been brave enough to try it since babies are usually associated with eating it...that is until recently.

I went over to a friends house for dinner a few weeks ago and it was non-other then butternut squash soup. I was very nervous due to not being a huge squash eating fool since the age of 2 or something. I reluctantly walked into the familiar kitchen to seat myself for this meal. Oh and it didn't just smell like baby food it looked like baby food-the taste was surprisingly good. At any rate I thoroughly enjoyed the meal with hubs and this generous couple.

Tonight I decided to make it! It was actually really inexpensive and easy/quick to put together...watch out the skin is tough to peel off the squash though. Unfortunately I do not have a photo of my personal meal...thought of the camera too late. But here is the recipe -

What you need:
  • 1 (2-3 pound) Butternut squash
  • 2 tablespoons of un-salted butter
  • 1 medium onion (chopped)
  • 6 cups vegetable broth (I use 1 & half Wolfgang puck all natural stock 32 oz)
  • Nutmeg (to taste- I sprinkle a layer over the top of the soup but no more)
  • Black pepper
Directions:
  1. Peel your squash and cut in half to remove seeds
  2. Cut your squash into 1 inch square chunks (set aside)
  3. Melt butter in your pot and add chopped onion to saute until translucent (8 min)
  4. Add squash & stock to your onions. Simmer until squash is become tender (15-20 min)
  5. Remove squash from onion & stock with a slotted spoon and place into blender to puree
  6. Return blended squash to stock & onion pot, stir in pepper and nutmeg
  7. Enjoy
This is a great healthy meal that is very filling- something your family will enjoy not just babies. I like to add as sides a nice salad and French bread with olive oil, fresh black pepper and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. (I broil the bread to make it crispy on edges)

If you try it, let me know how it went. I'd love to see what you thought.

0 comments:

Post a Comment