CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 4, 2011

What do you say?

No one can prepare you for how you will react or feel after you loose your child. You can write the story of what you would do a thousand times but the reality of when it does hit you, you likely would have never imagined the reaction before or after the loss you give to the world.

For me it was my first child. It honestly doesn't matter though any number 2 or even 5th child would be hard.

Over the last 9 months, 3 weeks, and one day I have pondered how "I should act" and how I do act after loosing my first born. The truth is, there is no wrong or right way to act. It is different for everyone. Some take their whole lives to grieve, others a matter of months. The love for the lost is the same but the outlook and personality are different. Thus the process can take you in different directions, swinging you into a loop of depression or out to a brighter horizon...it can even pull you in two directions at once...there is no right way to grieve.

I have to come to grips with this fact. I tell myself that this is true but sometimes I go with the flow of what the "world" views as enough and are you finished? I am not saying that I am through grieving, i'm not sure I will ever be fully. I am in a place that slowly I can enjoy my life and see that "brighter day" on the horizon. With saying that, I am STILL sensitive to certain things.


*ACTIONS

*COMMENTS (verbal)


What do you say to a person, (who knows you've lost your baby) disregards all things and says,
"Oh my goodness, so and so is pregnant!" or "Did you get the text message with so and so's new baby picture from the hospital?" or "Your not pregnant, what's it to you?"

What do you say?


{These pictures were taken 10 days before TanaLee was born.}
{7 days before I was hospitalized.}
{So small but a fighter that wouldn't give up}.
{All because she loved her mommy and daddy.}

Is it okay that I just stare blankly and later when no one is around silent tears fall down? Is it fare that I can't look at the pregnant world without feeling so empty and want what they have. Is it even right for me to be sensitive to new babies that enter this world?
I am sensitive of these things. I can't explain it much except for the fact that my daughter no longer lives. I didn't get the giant belly and sore back like so many complain about. I never felt the excitement from a baby shower. These things I am sensitive to.

I never in a million years would have thought the death of my child would take place nor did I ever think the impact and toll it would have on my emotions making them so strong. That was then, this is now.

I have lost my daughter and I miss her with every breath to my lungs. My arms ache to feel her in them.

I keep my emotions in check for the most part. I am working on not being so disgusted with the cheap plate that was handed to me in life. I am working on being comfortable with the sweet and delicate lives that have recently come into the world. I am working on getting the courage to hold these little bundles and not feel like my heart is about to explode and my blood pressure is through the roof. I am working on taking each moment of this life I have and using it to help others. I am working on creating the better me, giving back to the husband I love and not making him feel like the women he married was shipped off to some SiFi movie crap. I am working on being a mother to a child I lost and being happy to continue our family soon even though fear and stress can consume me at times.

So tell me, what do you say when you feel like I do?


*Keep in mind that this post was NOT directed to anyone who may read this blog, this is just simply my feelings out loud....not about any of you, family or not.*

5 comments:

Jennie Exposito said...

I hear ya, I'm in the same boat! It's been 6 months since my partial molar pregnancy and I still have a hard time hearing baby or pregnancy announcements. I'm very happy for the ladies and their new additions but with that happiness it's often accompanied by stings. Stings that remind me that I don't have my baby and how much I wish I did and hope to have another one some day.

Comments of negative nature are never a welcomed occurrence. If they are made with intent to be mean that's just plain cruel,heartless and evil, I think. I tend to cry about them some but in the end shrug it off because I have a hard enough time trying to control my own emotions then to worry about someone else's bad attitude. However, sometimes comments are made innocently and they don't realize that what they said could be hurtful to me. With that I give them the benefit of the doubt because sometimes people just don't understand where your coming from and only want to help.

When I get down and begin to mull over my grievances in this life I usually get reminded that with everything you lose you also gain. Blessings are gained like my amazing hubby and the roof over our heads and the food in our bellies. God is good! I know that God is always there when I endure suffering. After the fact you kinda realize how much you've grown and learned through the thick parts of life. He always gets me through them. I know I would be in a very dark place right now after our loss if it hadn't been for God.
Praying for you!

TanaLee Davis said...

Thank you Jennie.
Yep...benefit of doubt is always the best route.
I have certain triggers...for some reason they shine through more than my happiness for the new family...ya know what I mean? I just struggle with not having the reality I saw long ago in my child dreams...something I barely tasted in my early adult life...parenting....from a cold distance...then loss completely.

My New Normal said...

I try to keep my emotions in check as well. Sometimes I'm better at it than others.

Dana said...

What do you say? I always used to ask the same question but never found the answer (if you do find the answer please share it with me) I do know that I avoided certain situations because I didn't want to deal with the pain that came afterwards. It doesn't get easier but one day you will find that the feeling will change.

Lisa said...

I struggle with the same things. Usually I say nothing and hold it together until I can walk away. That, I guess, is me giving them the benefit of the doubt. But still, I wonder how they can not realize certain things that seem very obvious to me. I can understand some things, but not all. I also find it very hard to be happy for others. For me, it is the worst when a family has a 2nd or 3rd baby girl because that is what I lost - a sister for my older daughter. I want what they got to keep and find it so unfair. Even though they are good people also, why am I the one who had to have her baby die? I like to think I am a good person also! Sigh...

Post a Comment